Please read the terms and conditions carefully as you will have to acknowledge acceptance of them during the online registration process. By entering into The Book Illustration Competition, you agree to accept and be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The winner agrees to enter into a commission agreement with the Folio Society. The winner must be able to work on the commission with The Folio Society team between February and June 2017. Once final artwork has been delivered and approved by the end of April 2017, the artist will need to be available for any production enquiries relating to the artwork, including approving machine proofs prior to printing or technical issues with the binding.
- Entrants who are students and who reach the shortlist will be required to provide evidence of their student status at the time of entry.
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age and must not have had their work previously published by The Folio Society.
- Entrants agree to follow the submission guidelines exactly and submit their entry in accordance with the specifications provided on the entry information. Any entry that does not use the correct dimensions, file specifications or supporting information will not be considered by the judges.
- Entrants agree that should their entry be selected for the longlist it may be included in an exhibition at House of Illustration that may tour to other exhibition venues.
- Entrants agree that their name and entry may be published on the House of Illustration and Folio Society websites. The winner, shortlist and longlisted entrants grant House of Illustration and The Folio Society permission to use their name, entry, biography and photograph in any way to publicise the competition or exhibition.
- House of Illustration and The Folio Society are not obliged to publish entrants’ artwork and reserve the right to use none, part or all of your submission and may delete any contribution published on their websites at any time.
- In submitting your entry to the Book Illustration Competition, you hereby grant House of Illustration and The Folio Society license for the full term of any rights that may exist in your entry to reproduce your entry in any medium (now known or later developed) to publicise the competition and resulting exhibition at House of Illustration and other possible venues, including but not limited to catalogues, visitor leaflets, exhibition-related materials, exhibition advertising, in-gallery displays (including but not limited to electronic and screen-based displays), internal management systems, on House of Illustration and The Folio Society websites and on other websites and publications to which we contribute material where the items are made available on a non-commercial basis.
- You grant House of Illustration and The Folio Society the right to give members of the public a copy of any image or surrogate of your entry for the purpose of private study or educational activities or research.
- In submitting your entry, you hereby warrant and undertake to House of Illustration and The Folio Society that:
i) your entry is your own original work, that it has not been published previously in any form and that you are fully entitled to grant to House of Illustration and The Folio Society the rights under the two clauses above and that by doing so, you do not violate, plagiarise or infringe the rights of third parties including copyright, trade mark, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights.
ii) you are not aware of any third parties who might be entitled to prevent House of Illustration and The Folio Society from reproducing any of the items in your entry for publicity purposes or distributing copies thereof to the public.
iii) you will not submit any defamatory or illegal material of any nature. This includes but is not limited to text, graphics, video, programmes or audio.
- While we will make every effort to credit reproductions of your entry, we cannot guarantee always to do so. We also reserve the right to crop your work if necessary.
- House of Illustration and The Folio Society reserve the right to remove any content that they deem unsuitable. This might include but not be limited to content that is unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable.
- House of Illustration and The Folio Society will hold personal data provided by entrants for the competition. By entering this competition you agree to be contacted in the future, either by post, telephone or email, about future House of Illustration and Folio Society initiatives. Personal data will not be passed on to third parties.
- If you do not wish to grant House of Illustration and The Folio Society the above rights or cannot provide the warranties set out above, please do not submit your entry.