On this five-day intensive summer school for adult beginners, you will learn how to create picture books for 0-6 year-olds with contemporary market appeal. As an author illustrator, Claire teaches both writing and illustration in this specialist area.
Creating a dummy book takes longer than a week, but this course will inspire you with new ideas, introduce you to relevant literary and artistic techniques and equip you with the commercial knowledge to take your ideas further in a successful direction. The unique setting of the House of Illustration provides access to the exhibition galleries for drawing and visual research.
During the course you will:
• Gain an overview of the market and advice on getting published
• Learn how to create stories with convincing characters
• Experiment with a range of appropriate artistic mediums
• Explore narrative themes, structures and writing styles
• Learn how to storyboard a book with compelling layouts
• Learn how to make a book dummy to send to publishers
• Receive one-to-one and group feedback on your work
• Get free entry to the House of Illustration galleries for the duration of the course
• The opportunity to enrol on Claire’s intermediate level evening course where you can develop your book idea further and present it to a visiting publisher and agent at the end of the course
About the tutor
Claire Alexander is an author/ illustrator based in London. Her latest books published by Egmont The Best Bit of Daddy’s Day, 2016 and Monkey and the Little One, 2015 were both listed as best new picture books of the year by the Independent Book Sellers Association. Previously, Back to Front and Upside Down, dealing with the subject of dyslexia, won an American Library Association award in 2013. Her other titles include Small Florence, Lost in the Snow, That’s When I knew and Lucy & the Bully which also won two awards in the US. Claire studied Fine Art at the Kent Institute of Art and Design and has a BA honours degree in Painting. She studied Illustration at Putney School of Art and is an experienced teacher with a City and Guilds qualification. Visit Claire's website to find out more.
Time: 10am - 4pm
Dates: Monday 13 August - Friday 17 August 2018
£450 paid in advance, non-refundable
How to book your place:
To book, please purchase your ticket below. To enable us to contact you about the course we also need you to fill in the enrolment form (please download below) and return it to: email@example.com
Download the PDF for more information.